IP Strategy R&D Cooperation Open Innovation Corporate Venturing
R&D cooperation, companies’ IP and technology strategies, open innovation and intellectual property rights, behavioral strategy, organizational learning
2018: Need for speed? Exploring the relative importance of patents and utility models among German firms; with Jussi Heikkilä. Economics of Innovation and New Technology 27 (1), 80-105. doi: 10.1080/10438599.2017.1310794
2018: The role of standardization at the interface of product and process development in biotechnology; with Michael Raven and Knut Blind. Forthcoming in Journal of Technology Transfer.
2018: Once bitten, less shy? The influence of prior misappropriation experience on R&D collaboration; with Theresa Veer. Forthcoming in Industry & Innovation.
2017: The Importance of Connecting Open Innovation to Strategy; with Wim Vanhaverbeke, Nadine Roijakkers and Henry Chesbrough. In: Strategy and Communication for Innovation (3rd edition), Editors: N. Pfeffermann and J. Gould, Heidelberg: Springer, 3-15. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-49542-2_1
2017: How do Start-ups Recognize the Value of External Knowledge and Acquire it?; with Christoph Baier. Academy of Management Proceedings. doi: 10.5465/AMBPP.2017.16640abstract
2017: Need for speed? Exploring the relative importance of patents and utility models among German firms; with Jussi Heikkilä. Forthcoming in Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
2016: How open is too open? The mitigating role of appropriation mechanisms in R&D cooperation settings; with Theresa Veer and Knut Blind. R&D Management 46 (S3), 1113-1128. doi: 10.1111/radm.12232
2016: The Importance of Connecting Open Innovation to Strategy; with Wim Vanhaverbeke, Nadine Roijakkers and Henry Chesbrough. Forthcoming in Strategy and Communication for Innovation (3rd edition), Editors: N. Pfeffermann and J. Gould, Heidelberg: Springer.
2014: Once Bitten, Less Shy? - The Impact of Copying and Infringement Experiences on R&D Cooperation; with Theresa Veer. Academy of Management Proceedings. doi: 10.5465/AMBPP.2014.15205abstract
2013: Determinants of Companies' Appropriation Strategies - A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach; with Knut Blind and Bernd Ebersberger. Academy of Management Proceedings. doi: 10.5465/AMBPP.2013.16869abstract
WORK IN PROGRESS
Learning from experience in strategic decision making settings
Organizational learning has been an important topic for the ﬁeld of organization theory scholars but it is somewhat emerging in strategy and innovation literature. I provide a theoretical framework to explore organizational learning from experience and its impact on strategic decision making. I include and combine different streams from management and psychology literature e.g., learning from failure literature, the 4I framework and experiential learning theory. According to the framework, organizational experience, learning, and, ultimately, knowledge influence an organization’s strategic decision making. I hope that this perspective will stimulate future work on organizational learning and knowledge in the strategic and innovation management literature.
The fine line between success and failure - Joint venture management at Nestea and Lipton Ice Tea (Joint work with Wim Vanhaverbeke and Nadine Roijakkers)
Joint ventures are a popular mode of inter-firm cooperation to achieve various objectives. However, joint ventures can be a challenge to manage, which may explain their high failure rates. As these failures leave companies with high costs, researchers have devoted their attention to studying the factors leading to joint venture success/failure in the past years. On the basis of two competing joint ventures in the ready-to-drink tea industry we disentangle the factors of both joint venture success and failure. Although both joint ventures have very similar histories and starting conditions, the joint venture between Nestlé and The Coca-Cola Company collapsed in 2012 whereas the joint venture between Unilever and PepsiCo still prospers. Our research emphasizes the fine line between success and failure when it comes to managing joint ventures. Based on our results, we provide a step-by-step guideline for managers to effectively and successfully manage joint ventures.
Coopetition, Cooperation and Competition as Determinants of Companies’ Appropriation Strategies (Joint work with Knut Blind and Bernd Ebersberger)
In this article, we investigate how a company’s coopetition (collaboration with competitors), cooperation and competition strategies influence its usage of intellectual property appropriation mechanisms. In addition to firm characteristics and sector variables as predictors for appropriation methods used in previous studies, we disentangle coopetition, cooperation and competition as further determinants for a firm's use of formal (e.g., patents, trademarks) or informal (e.g., secrecy, lead time) appropriation mechanisms. This leads to substantial model uncertainty, which we tackle by using Bayesian Model Averaging. We find that companies should strive for IP appropriation strategies that are well aligned with their choice of cooperation and competition strategies as this facilitates value capturing from innovation.
CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
- Israel Strategy Conference, Haifa, Israel, December 2017.
- MOC-TIM Conference, Zurich, Switzerland, June 2017.
- DRUID Society Conference, New York, USA. June 2017.
- Strategic Management Society Conference, Berlin, Germany. September 2016.
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, USA. August 2016.
- DRUID Society Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark. June 2016.
- Strategic Management Society Conference, Denver, USA. October 2015.
- DRUID Society Conference, Rome, Italy. June 2015.
- R&D Management Conference, Pisa, Italy. June 2015.
- World Open Innovation Conference, Napa Valley, USA. December 2014.
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, USA. August 2014.
- DRUID Society Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark. June 2014.
- 9th Annual Conference of the EPIP Association. Brussels, Belgium, September 2014.
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, USA, August 2014.
- International Schumpeter Society Conference. Jena, Germany, July 2014.
- DRUID Society Conference. Copenhagen, Denmark, June 2014.
- Atlanta Competitive Advantage Conference. Atlanta, USA, May 2014.
- Strategic Management Society Conference. Atlanta, USA, September 2013.
- SEI Doctoral Consortium. London, UK, September 2013.
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting. Orlando, USA, August 2013.
- 29th EGOS Colloquium. Montréal, Canada, July 2013.
- 13th EURAM Annual Conference. Istanbul, Turkey, June 2013.
- 35th DRUID Celebration Conference. Barcelona, Spain, June 2013.
- DRUID Academy Conference. Aalborg, Denmark, January 2013.
- 5th Israel Strategy Conference. Tel Aviv, Israel, December 2012.
- 7th Annual Conference of the E PIP Association. Leuven, Belgium, September 2012.
- uk-irc Early Career Researcher Workshop. Cambridge, UK, September 2012.
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting. Boston, USA, August 2012.
- DRUID Society Conference. Copenhagen, Denmark, June 2012. Nominee for DRUID Young Scholar Award
- Fifth Annual Searle Center Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Chicago, USA, June 2012.
- DRUID Academy Conference. Cambridge, UK, January 2012.